Search This Blog

Followers

====================

Newsletter Archive

Web version of our e-newsletter.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Is It June Already?



newlogo
American Academy of Landscape Design
June 4, 2010


newlogo
In This Issue
Garden Design School
LandscapeLeadership.com
Quick Links

Greetings!

I just pulled up the draft I started weeks ago for the newsletter. Wow, time flies!

Although this spring has been the first since 1987 with no landscape design projects, I've been keeping pretty busy. I hope you have too, but WITH design projects. Things are tough out there.


Sincerely,

American Academy of Landscape Design
www.aaldweb.com
847-657-7900

P.S. Still have some book bargains left. If you see something you like, but you don't like the price, make me an offer.

Click here

GDGarden Design School


Here's some exciting news, not just for me, but for anyone looking to improve his or her design skills. In May I met with Robin Templar Williams and Moira Farnham, owners and directors of England's Garden Design School.

Garden Design School is in its 9th year and is a comprehensive, 8 month program for budding landscape designers. It's ideal not only for career-changers, but also any landscape designer looking to improve design skills. Those who complete the program will have been exposed to all of the skills needed to practice landscape design professionally. You can read more at their web site. http://www.gardendesignschool.com/

Rob and Moira began offering their course in Boston last year. And they asked me to teach 2 of the 8 Blocks for 2010-11. I'm flattered to be asked and look forward to being part of this proven program. The next session begins in August and the schedule is posted here.


The Real Goods
One peeve I have had for as long as I can remember has to do with sales. You probably know lots of people, as do I, that can sell anything. They are born to sell and do a great job at it. Of course many of them don't have be responsible for delivering the goods though. In fact, they may have no say in that at all. Their job is to bring business in the door.

For me, I need to know that what I'm selling is what I say it is. I'm not saying I have to sell the "very best." But if I'm saying it is the "very best," then it better be pretty darned close to it! If I'm selling  a product that might be a "B" in terms of ranking products, A, B, C and D, that's okay too. Not everyone wants an "A." I learned that lesson early in my landscape design career. I could not understand why people would put up with inferior design when they could have me!

But the fact is, not everyone wants or needs the best. Many don't even want, or can't afford a "C." My point is, figure out what it is you have to sell and sell it for what it is, not for what you wish it were.

Just for grins, check this out.

LandscapeLeadership.com


Chris Heiler is in the middle of revamping his outstanding membership website. Previously focused on landscape designers, he has broadened his audience to include all members of the Green Industry, and focused the subject matter on marketing for green industry professionals. If you are looking for ways to grow your business, pay attention as Chris upgrades his site. It seems to be changing constantly. Take a look at some of his introductory offers.
Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to tim57.aaldnews@blogger.com by tim@aaldweb.com.

American Academy of Landscape Design | 1926 Waukegan Road | Glenview | IL | 60025